Motorcycles are popular for many reasons. While most California riders are responsible when riding and diligent with the care and maintenance of their bikes, motorcycle accidents can still happen at any time. It’s vital to know what to do after a motorcycle accident and how a Huntington Beach motorcycle accident attorney can help. If you recently suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident and believe someone else is to blame, your attorney can help you determine your best available options for legal recourse.
Motorcycle accident cases tend to be challenging. First, liability is not always clear. It’s possible for one or more parties to bear liability for a plaintiff’s injuries from a motorcycle accident. California’s pure comparative negligence statute means a plaintiff could also potentially bear liability. Second, motorcycle accidents tend to involve substantial damages and catastrophic injuries. It’s vital to find legal representation from a Huntington Beach motorcycle accident lawyer with solid experience handling high-value motorcycle accident cases.
Work With Easton & Easton
When you need legal representation for a motorcycle accident claim in Huntington Beach, you can rely on Eaton & Easton to provide compassionate and professional legal guidance through every phase of your claim. We will work hard to try and settle your case as quickly and efficiently as possible, but we are not afraid of litigating your case to ensure maximum compensation. Our team has more than 100 years of combined experience handling all kinds of personal injury claims in the Huntington Beach, CA area.
Once you agree to our team’s representation, we will help you determine who is at fault for your accident and the extent of the damages you may be able to claim if you succeed with your lawsuit. You can expect detailed and responsive communication with our team from your first consultation through the conclusion of your case.
A standard passenger vehicle has an enclosed body, and the panels of the vehicle’s body protect the driver and passengers from the forces of impact in an accident. Passenger vehicles also have safety features such as shatter-resistant windows, seatbelts, and airbags.
Motorcycles have none of these safety features, and their open design provides no physical protection to riders and passengers. When an accident happens involving a motorcycle and a larger vehicle, it is almost always the motorcyclist who suffers the worst injuries.
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Dangerous and aggressive driving. When drivers weave between lanes of traffic, overtake other vehicles in lane using dangerous maneuvers and speeding, and otherwise refuse to follow the rules of the road, they endanger those around them. An aggressive driver may not have the time or distance to avoid hitting a motorcyclist who suddenly comes into view.
- Distracted driving. Anything that diverts a driver’s eyes, hands, or focus away from the road is potentially dangerous. If a driver simply isn’t paying close enough attention to the road or takes their hands away from the vehicle’s controls for even a second, they may fail to adjust in time to avoid an accident with a nearby motorcyclist.
- Driving under the influence is extremely dangerous, and the risk of fatal injury is much higher in motorcycle accidents caused by DUI. Whether the rider or another driver was under the influence, DUI accidents tend to occur at higher speeds, and inebriated drivers typically cannot exercise full control over their vehicles in emergencies. Any driver who causes an accident due to DUI should expect criminal prosecution in addition to civil claims for damages from any victims of their DUI.
- Poor visibility. Motorcycles are smaller, narrower, and harder to see than larger passenger vehicles. Many motorcycle accidents occur due to bad visibility or drivers failing to yield the right-of-way because they did not notice a motorcyclist in time.
- Mechanical failures. Motorcycles can have parts break down just like larger vehicles. If a defective or faulty part leads to an accident, the manufacturer could face a product liability claim, or the party responsible for installing and/or maintaining the part could absorb liability if they did not do their job correctly.
- Moving violations. Speeding, improper lane changes, sudden turns without signaling, and failing to stop for red lights or stop signs are just some of the moving violations that can potentially lead to a serious motorcycle accident.
If you believe your accident occurred due to one of these causes, you should meet with a Huntington Beach motorcycle accident lawyer to discuss your legal options. As long as you know you did nothing wrong, it’s very likely that you could succeed with a personal injury claim for your motorcycle accident. If your accident resulted in serious injuries and long-term economic losses, you need to act quickly to start building your claim.
Damages and Recovery in Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits
Once you have determined that another party is liable for your damages, your Huntington Beach motorcycle accident attorney can help you determine the full scope of your damages. The plaintiff in any type of personal injury lawsuit needs to know the full extent of the damages they can claim in the case.
Your attorney will want to secure a copy of the medical report from the doctor who initially treated your injuries after your accident. You will need this to establish the full list of injuries your accident caused and the cost of treating each, all of which you can claim as damages in your case. You also have the ability to claim compensation for psychological trauma. However, you will need to prove you needed treatment or will need treatment in the future from a mental health provider.
Motorcycles are not as sturdy as passenger vehicles when it comes to collision damage, so a motorcycle involved in an accident will likely be damaged beyond repair. An injured plaintiff can also claim property losses in their motorcycle accident claim, such as the cost of repairing or replacing a bike. If the plaintiff has additional economic losses in the form of missed income from work due to their injuries, they can claim their lost wages as damages, too.
It’s easy to see how costly a motorcycle accident can be. If you or someone you love needs legal representation from a reliable Huntington Beach motorcycle accident attorney, Easton & Easton is here to help. Our team has successfully represented many complex motorcycle accident claims in the past. We can put this experience to work in your case. Contact Easton & Easton today to schedule a consultation with an experienced Huntington Beach motorcycle accident lawyer.