For more than 25 years, attorney Douglas Easton has earned Martindale-Hubbell’s highest AV Preeminent* peer review rating for ethical standards and legal ability.
What Types of Claims Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Handle?
Personal injury is a broad area of civil law, and many types of incidents can lead to personal injury claims. At Easton & Easton, our team has experience representing clients in a wide range of personal injury cases, including:
- Car accident claims. Car accidents are a leading cause of accidental deaths and injuries throughout the US. Suppose another driver caused an accident with your vehicle resulting in injuries and economic losses. In that case, our team can help you handle your insurance claim process and file a civil suit against the at-fault driver if necessary.
- Motorcycle accident claims. Motorcycles are some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road because they provide virtually no physical protection to riders and passengers. If a negligent driver hit you while you were riding your motorcycle in the Fullerton area, we can help you hold them accountable.
- Truck accident claims. When commercial trucks cause accidents, the damages are likely to be extraordinary. These cases often raise complex questions of liability. Our team can help you hold a negligent truck driver responsible for your losses and address ambiguous liability.
- Dog bite injury claims. California dog owners are strictly liable for any injuries their pets cause to others. If another person’s dog hurt you while you were legally present at the location of the incident, you have the right to file a civil claim against the dog owner.
- Premises liability claims. Property owners must take proper care of their properties, and when lawful visitors sustain injuries from foreseeable hazards, property owners face liability for their damages under California’s premises liability laws.
- Product liability claims. All product manufacturers must ensure their products perform as advertised and present no unreasonable dangers to users. If you or a loved one suffered an injury from a defective or unreasonably dangerous product, we could help you file a product liability claim against the manufacturer.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the types of civil claims under the purview of personal injury law. If you are unsure whether your recent injury qualifies for a personal injury claim, it’s essential to consult an experienced Fullerton personal injury attorney.
Proving Liability for a Personal Injury in Fullerton, CA
California law allows a personal injury plaintiff to claim compensation for all damages caused by another party’s actions. Your personal injury claim could revolve around another party’s negligence or failure to exercise reasonable care and caution in a given situation. It’s also possible for a personal injury claim to result from an intentional act of harm or willful and reckless disregard for the safety of others. A Fullerton personal injury attorney can help you establish fault for your damages and guide you through the process of holding the at-fault party accountable for your losses.
Establishing negligence is crucial for success with your personal injury claim. Your Fullerton personal injury lawyer will help you identify the party responsible for causing your damages, prove they were negligent or intentionally harmful in some way, and then help you establish causation between their actions and your damages. Proving fault for a personal injury typically entails gathering material evidence from the scene of the injury, documenting the plaintiff’s damages accurately, and obtaining statements from witnesses who saw the incident in question occur.
Potential Damages in a Personal Injuries Case
Your personal injury claim could be worth more than you initially expected once you have a Fullerton personal injury attorney working on your case. Most personal injury plaintiffs have the right to claim:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and future, which were caused by the defendant’s actions. Your attorney can help you prove the full extent of the medical treatment you require due to the defendant’s actions, including hospital bills and long-term care costs.
- Lost income and lost future income. Your accident may prevent you from working for a long time, and the defendant is responsible for your lost income when their actions resulted in your inability to work. Your attorney can also help you prove lost future earning capacity if you developed a permanent disability from your injury.
- Property damage. The defendant’s actions may have not only injured you but also damaged or destroyed your property. For example, if a defendant damaged your vehicle, your home, or other property, you could add repair or replacement costs to your personal injury claim.
- Pain and suffering compensation. California law allows personal injury plaintiffs to recover compensation for physical pain and psychological distress caused by a defendant’s actions. Severe injuries and injuries resulting in permanent disabilities are likely to generate substantial pain and suffering compensation to reflect the significant changes in the victim’s quality of life.
It’s common for personal injury plaintiffs to learn their claims are worth far more than expected after securing reliable legal counsel. It’s also possible for some personal injury plaintiffs to qualify for punitive damages or restitution if the defendants responsible for their injuries acted outside the bounds of typical negligence or engaged in criminal behavior that resulted in the plaintiff’s damages.
Every personal injury claim involves unique details that the average person may not know how to address on their own. Easton & Easton aims to provide comprehensive legal representation, hold defendants accountable for their negligence and intentionally harmful actions, and maximize the recovery of every personal injury client we represent. We’ll carefully review the details of your situation and help you explore every available channel of recovery.
What to Expect From Your Fullerton Personal Injury Attorney
Hiring the right Fullerton personal injury lawyer to represent your claim can ensure the fullest recovery possible under California law. When selecting a legal team to represent your case, take time to weigh your options carefully. Easton & Easton has decades of experience handling complex personal injury claims, and we are confident in our ability to successfully manage the most detailed personal injury cases on behalf of Fullerton, CA, clients.
Our team will carefully review the details of your personal injury and help you determine which party or parties bear fault for your damages. Next, we will assist you in gathering the documentation you will need to prove the full scope of your damages, such as the medical report from your doctor, vehicle repair bills, and proof of lost income.
Most personal injury cases filed in Fullerton, CA, settle outside of court. Swift settlement is beneficial to all parties involved, and your legal team will help you negotiate a fair settlement with the defendant if possible. If the defendant denies liability or refuses to settle, our team will represent you through the litigation process.
Every personal injury victim has many questions regarding their rights and legal options. Easton & Easton has extensive experience handling a wide breadth of personal injury claims, and the following are some of the most common questions we hear from prospective clients regarding their options for legal recourse following personal injuries.
Q: Is It Worth Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney?
A: Hiring reliable legal counsel is the best way to approach your personal injury claim with greater confidence. If you are concerned about the potential cost of your legal fees, remember that you are likely to end up with far less compensation when you attempt to handle your case alone than an attorney could secure on your behalf. Ultimately, it is always worth hiring an experienced Fullerton personal injury attorney to assist you with your claim.
Q: How Do I Choose a Good Personal Injury Attorney for My Case?
A: Finding the right attorney when you are struggling with the aftermath of a personal injury can seem like an incredible challenge. Take time to research local options and ask friends, family, and coworkers for personal recommendations if they have experienced personal injuries recently. It’s best to choose an attorney who inspires you with confidence about your case, provides transparent billing policies and offers an understandable initial interpretation of your legal situation.
Q: How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
A: The majority of personal injury attorneys offer contingency fee billing. This type of billing ensures a client pays nothing upfront for their legal costs and only parts with a percentage of their case award as their legal fee once the attorney wins their case. If the attorney does not secure a case award, the client pays nothing. Before agreeing to their representation, make sure you fully understand a potential attorney’s billing practices.
You and your family likely have many more questions specific to your recent personal injury. Easton & Easton is available to provide the answers you need during this challenging time and to help you begin the process of securing your recovery.
Start Building Your Claim Today
California enforces a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims, beginning on the date the injury occurs. This may seem like plenty of time to take legal action, but it is always best to start working on your case as soon as possible to preserve the freshness of evidence and witness testimony you may require for establishing liability for your damages.
Easton & Easton provide comprehensive, client-focused, and compassionate legal counsel to our Fullerton personal injury claim clients. If you are ready to discuss your legal options with a reliable and experienced Fullerton personal injury attorney, contact Easton & Easton today to schedule your consultation with our team.