Fullerton Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycles are popular in Southern California, but every motorcycle owner and passenger must understand the risks of using motorcycles. They may be fun to operate, but they do not offer the physical protection or standard safety features of most other vehicles. As a result, motorcycle accidents happen for many of the same reasons as car accidents, but the victims of motorcycle accidents are far more likely to suffer severe injuries.
Representing Victims of Motorcycle Accidents in Fullerton, CA
If you or a loved one recently suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident someone else caused, you likely have grounds for legal action against the responsible driver. Motorcycle accidents are easily capable of causing life-changing injuries and substantial economic losses for the victim. When another party bears liability for such an incident, a Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer can help you hold them accountable.
Why Should I Hire a Fullerton Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
It’s natural to wonder whether you should hire an attorney after a motorcycle accident, especially if the other driver’s fault seems readily apparent. However, the reality is that any motor vehicle accident claim can pose complex questions an injured rider may be unable to address on their own. Additionally, if you try to handle your case without an attorney, you could make procedural errors that jeopardize your ability to recover. Finally, if you do succeed, you would still be likely to overlook available channels for compensation, resulting in less of a recovery than a Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer could have obtained on your behalf.
Working with an experienced legal team is the best way to maximize your recovery from a motorcycle accident. Instead of handling all of your case’s procedural requirements on your own, your attorney will handle your case proceedings on your behalf so you can focus on your recovery with peace of mind. Easton & Easton has years of experience representing Fullerton, CA, clients in a wide range of personal injury claims, and we are ready to apply this experience in your motorcycle accident case. We can help you determine the cause of your accident, ascertain liability for your damages, and calculate the full scope of your claimable damages.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in the Fullerton, CA, Area
Statistically, you are far more likely to experience an accident on a motorcycle than when riding in an enclosed passenger vehicle. Additionally, when motorcycle accidents happen, they are much more likely to result in catastrophic or fatal injuries. Some of the most commonly reported causes of motorcycle accidents that lead to civil claims include:
- Distracted driving. It is the most commonly cited cause of all motor vehicle accidents in the US. Even momentary inattention can easily cause a devastating accident.
- Driving under the influence (DUI). Drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol experience diminished spatial awareness and reaction time. As a result, they are far more likely to speed and commit moving violations that can result in accidents, and DUI drivers are as dangerous to themselves as they are to every driver around them. If a DUI driver caused your motorcycle accident, they would face criminal charges as well as liability for your civil damages.
- Speeding. All drivers must adhere to posted speed limits. Exceeding the speed limit makes it harder for a driver to slow down or stop in time to avoid crashing when traffic patterns suddenly change.
- Moving violations, such as running red lights and stop signs or making illegal turns. These actions make it harder for other drivers to anticipate traffic movement and easily lead to accidents.
- Poor visibility. Motorcycles are smaller than most passenger vehicles, making it easy for them to slip through other drivers’ blind spots. Therefore, all motorcyclists should be cautious and try to make themselves as visible as possible to other drivers.
These are just a few examples of situations that may cause motorcycle accidents. Suppose you believe your recent motorcycle accident happened because of the actions of another party. In that case, you should consult an experienced Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your case.
Proving Fault for Fullerton Motorcycle Accidents
California requires all drivers to have auto insurance, and the state uses a fault-based system for resolving insurance claims for accidents. Therefore, if another driver causes an accident with your vehicle, you have the right to file an insurance claim against their auto insurance policy to secure compensation for your losses. However, an insurance claim may not fully cover your damages if the at-fault driver only has a minimum coverage policy. Additionally, in both an insurance claim and a personal injury claim for a motorcycle accident, you must prove the at-fault driver is directly responsible for the crash and the resulting damages.
California’s personal injury law revolves around “negligence,” or a failure to exercise reasonable care and caution in a given situation. It’s also possible to file a personal injury claim in response to injuries caused by intentional acts of harm, such as violent crime or intentional, reckless driving. To succeed with your personal injury claim for a motorcycle accident, you must identify the defendant, establish that they failed to uphold their duty of care in the situation in question, and directly caused your claimed damages.
What Compensation Can I Recover in a Motorcycle Crash Claim in Fullerton, CA?
California’s auto insurance law requires all drivers to carry coverage for bodily injury liability, total accident liability, and property damage liability. However, a serious motorcycle accident can result in damages that eclipse the at-fault driver’s available insurance coverage. In this case, the injured driver has the right to pursue a personal injury claim to recover their remaining damages. An experienced Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer can help their client recover economic damages including:
- Property damage, such as the cost of repairing or replacing the victim’s vehicle in a motorcycle accident. While the at-fault driver’s auto insurance may cover some of these losses, a personal injury claim can secure compensation for the remainder that insurance does not cover.
- Medical treatment costs. Motorcycle accidents often cause severe injuries that demand extensive medical care. The plaintiff in a motorcycle accident lawsuit can claim compensation for immediate medical treatment costs like hospital bills and any costs they incur for required ongoing care.
- Lost income. Your motorcycle accident may force you to stay home from work while you recover. Your Fullerton motorcycle accident attorney can help you hold the defendant in your claim accountable for your lost wages. In addition, if you suffer a permanent disability from your motorcycle accident and cannot work anymore, your attorney can potentially help you secure compensation for lost earning capacity.
Beyond these economic damages, plaintiffs in California personal injury claims may also recover pain and suffering compensation. There is no cap or limit on pain and suffering damages in a motor vehicle accident claim. Your Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer will evaluate the severity of your injuries and whether you face long-term medical complications to help you determine a fair amount of pain and suffering damages to include in your claim.
Fullerton Motorcycle Accident FAQs
Motorcycle accidents are damaging and traumatic experiences. So, it’s natural to have lots of questions about your legal options after this kind of incident. The Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyers at Easton & Easton have years of experience representing clients in complicated personal injury claims, and the following are some of the most common questions we hear regarding motorcycle accidents.
Q: Is It Worth Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
A: You not only increase your chance of success with a personal injury claim when you hire an attorney but are also more likely to maximize your recovery. An experienced Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer can potentially uncover channels of compensation you may not have thought to include with your claim on your own. Ultimately, the benefits of hiring legal representation for your claim far outweigh the cost of your legal fees.
Q: What Are the Most Common Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents?
A: Motorcycle accidents commonly cause traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, internal organ damage, and facial injuries. Even when motorcyclists and their passengers wear high-quality helmets and safety gear, they can still sustain catastrophic injuries.
Q: What Should You Not Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
A: When the police respond to the accident scene or interview you in the hospital, never admit fault, even if you suspect you bear partial responsibility for the crash. Do not speak with any insurance company representatives until you consult an attorney. Insurance companies will try to convince you to settle for the lowest possible claim amount if they believe you do not have legal representation.
Q: When Should I Hire a Fullerton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
A: Ideally, you should consult a Fullerton motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Once you have sought medical treatment for your injuries,you should contact a reputable personal injury lawyer who can help you determine your best options for legal recourse against the driver who caused your accident. The sooner you secure legal counsel, the sooner you can start building your case.
Easton & Easton Fullerton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
You probably have many more questions more specific to your unique situation. The attorneys at Easton & Easton have years of experience handling complex personal injury claims and can guide you through your motorcycle accident case effectively. Contact us today and schedule a consultation with an experienced Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyer.