Electric scooters may not travel very fast, and they are not very heavy. However, they are still capable of causing or contributing to very serious accidents that result in significant damages. The personal injury statutes of California allow plaintiffs to claim several types of damages in their claims:
- A plaintiff in an electric scooter accident lawsuit can claim compensation for their past and future medical expenses resulting from the incident. This includes immediate medical costs like hospital bills and emergency room treatment, as well as long-term medical costs for rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other necessary ongoing treatments.
- Plaintiffs in personal injury lawsuits may also claim property damages in their cases. If an electric scooter accident resulted in significant damage to the plaintiff’s personal property, they can claim the cost of repairing or replacing that property.
- Severe injuries can force a victim to remain home from work while they recover. If their injuries are severe enough, it is possible they may be unable to work at all in the future. Lost income can potentially form a significant portion of a personal injury plaintiff’s overall compensation.
- California state law allows personal injury plaintiffs to receive compensation for their physical pain and emotional suffering resulting from the experience in question. The exact amount received hinges on the severity of the victim’s damages and the total amount of their other compensable losses.
- In the event a defendant was criminally negligent or intentionally caused an electric scooter accident, the court may decide to punish them further by requiring them to pay punitive damages to the plaintiff alongside their other damages. The amount paid depends on the overall wealth of the defendant and the egregiousness of their actions.
The right Los Angeles electric scooter accident attorney can help their client recover as much compensation as possible for their losses. If you or a loved one recently experienced this kind of situation, it’s vital to seek legal counsel immediately for the best chance of securing a recovery.
Electric scooter accidents can happen for many reasons. When an electric scooter accident occurs due to a rider’s negligence, the rider is likely to absorb liability for any resulting damages. If a driver injures a scooter rider, the driver would be liable for the accident. It is also possible for a scooter service like Bird or Lime to absorb liability if an electric scooter accident occurs due to a defective or broken scooter.
It is also possible for some electric scooter accident claims to implicate multiple defendants, and the plaintiffs may also absorb liability if they contributed to their accidents in any way. California’s pure comparative negligence statute means that if a plaintiff bears any liability, they may lose some of their case award to reflect their fault. Ultimately, even the most straightforward accident cases can take unexpected turns, so it is wise to have reliable legal counsel on your side as you approach your electric scooter case.
All personal injury claims begin when injured plaintiffs file formal Complaints with their local courthouses. These documents outline the plaintiff’s claim, including the full scope of the damages they seek as well as their determination as to responsibility for those damages. Once the courthouse receives this Complaint, they will formally serve the defendant named in the Complaint and provide them the opportunity to answer the claim.
At this point, the defendant may either agree to settlement negotiations or contest liability and demand a trial. The vast majority of personal injury claims end at settlement negotiations simply because litigation is more expensive and time-consuming for everyone involved in a claim.
Success in a personal injury claim typically hinges on the plaintiff’s attorney and their ability to prove the defendant’s negligence. An experienced Los Angeles electric scooter accident attorney will likely consult expert witnesses if any technical issues present with the claim, and expert witness testimony can also support the plaintiff during settlement or trial, clarifying complex medical issues or other highly specific matters with their professional interpretations.
Your Los Angeles electric scooter accident attorney will likely begin your case by securing as much physical evidence as possible from the scene of the accident, including the initial police report, photographs from the scene of the accident, traffic camera footage, and even computer data from vehicles involved in the accident.
The combination of solid evidence, support from credible expert witnesses, and an experienced attorney can significantly increase the chances of success with any personal injury claim. If you plan to seek legal action after suffering injuries in an electric scooter accident in Los Angeles, it’s vital to know how to find the right attorney to represent your case.
Finding the right attorney to handle your case is a very important matter. Take time to ask friends and family about their past experiences with local attorneys to see if they have any recommendations. You should also look at reviews from past clients to help you narrow down your options to the few attorneys most likely to successfully handle your case.
The first time you meet with a potential attorney, ask them a few questions to gauge their experience level and how keen they are on the idea of taking your case. The majority of personal injury attorneys offer their clients contingency fee billing, which means clients pay nothing if they lose their cases. If an attorney provides contingency fee billing and is willing to take your case, this is a good indication that the attorney is confident you will win.
If you or a loved one are recovering from electric scooter accident injuries that someone else caused, call our firm. It’s essential to take legal action as soon as possible for the best chance of recovery. Eaton & Easton have the experience and skill to successfully represent the most challenging electric scooter accident claims, and we are ready and able to help with your case. Contact Easton & Easton today to schedule a complimentary case evaluation with a compassionate and experienced Los Angeles electric scooter accident lawyer.