Know your options for compensation after a California rideshare accident

By |2022-01-06T18:37:37+00:00May 5th, 2017|

Rideshare services, such as Uber and Lyft, are extremely popular in California right now. They are easy to access and can get you anywhere you want to go around town. You don’t have to stress about parking, deal with traffic anxiety or even worry about what types of beverages you consume while out, and ridshare services are not likely to go away any time soon.

What happens, though, if you suffer injuries in a rideshare car accident, either as a passenger, fellow driver or pedestrian? Who owes you compensation for medical bills, lost wages and other costs resulting from the crash? Because there are multiple parties that are potentially liable, obtaining full and fair compensation for your injuries can be complicated.

Who caused the accident?

If a rideshare driver is responsible for causing the accident, he or she may be held accountable for your injuries. If the driver was on the clock when the incident occurred, the rideshare company may also be legally accountable for your losses.

If you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle and the car was struck by another vehicle, the driver of the other car may be held responsible for your resulting losses.

How does insurance come into play?

Rideshare companies are typically required to provide insurance coverage for their drivers while they are working. So, if an accident happens while a driver is on the clock and the incident is his or her fault, the rideshare company’s insurance may cover all or part of your losses.

If, however, a driver is off the clock and he or she causes an accident, his or her personal insurance will be responsible for covering the damages sustained by the victim.

Keep in mind, though, that insurance companies are in business to make money — and not necessarily to pay the full amount owed to accident victims. In fact, the insurance company may go to great lengths to minimize or even deny compensation to you.

How do I seek compensation?

If, after an accident involving a rideshare vehicle, you are struggling to get full insurance coverage, you may have grounds to take legal action in order to obtain full and fair compensation. It is best, though, not to try to handle these matters on your own. Instead, seek professional counsel and representation from a personal injury attorney with experience in handling these particular types of claims.

How can an attorney help me?

Fighting for compensation after a rideshare accident can be a tough road. You should not go it alone. A skilled attorney who is dedicated to helping you obtain compensation for your losses can assist you in filing, negotiating and, if necessary, litigating your claim. In short, you need someone on your side to fight for compensation for any physical, financial and emotional injuries the incident has caused you. An attorney can handle all legal aspects of your case, including communications with insurance companies, while you focus on healing.


About the Author:

Avatar photo
Doug Easton has practiced law since 1971. After 20 years of practicing with various large litigation firms, he founded the Law Offices of W. Douglas Easton in 1991 as a solo practitioner. In the years that followed, Doug’s sons Brian and Matt joined him in the practice and helped build the firm into a powerful force to help right the wrongs done to their clients. Much of their success over the years has stemmed from the dynamic created by the familial nature of the firm and how harmoniously they all work together, each of their individual strengths complementing and fortifying the group as a whole. Accordingly, the firm changed its name to Easton & Easton, LLP in 2014 to better reflect the true dynamic of the firm and Doug now serves as Managing Partner of Easton & Easton. In 2015, Doug was selected as a Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in California by The American Society of Legal Advocates. In addition, Doug is listed in Strathmore’s Who’s Who, and in 2008 was named its “Professional of the Year” in Medical Malpractice.
Go to Top