California law requires every driver to have auto insurance, and this insurance must cover property damage and bodily injury caused by the policyholder. This requirement extends to common carriers as well, so the bus company responsible for your recent accident will have auto insurance, and you have the right to file a claim against their policy to recover compensation for your losses. However, dealing with any insurance carrier can be very difficult, and you need to have legal counsel you can trust on your side if you want to secure an appropriate settlement offer.
Your attorney can assist you in drafting your demand letter to the appropriate insurance company, and they can address any disputes that arise with your claim. Insurance company representatives are trained to look for all the reasons they can find to reduce settlement offers or deny claims, but they are unlikely to attempt any bad faith tactics when they notice a claimant has legal representation. Once you secure as much compensation for your damages as possible through the insurance claim process, you can proceed with filing a personal injury claim, seeking compensation for any losses not covered by insurance.
The state’s personal injury laws enable the plaintiff in a personal injury case to seek full repayment of all damages they suffered because of a defendant’s negligence or intentional misconduct. Your Los Angeles bus accident attorney can help recover compensation for:
- Medical treatment costs. If a defendant physically injured you, they are liable for all medical expenses you incur for treatment of your injuries. This includes both immediate and future healthcare costs, so you can hold them accountable for your hospital bills as well as the cost of any ongoing rehabilitative care you need to fully recover.
- Lost income. When a defendant’s actions have left you unable to work, they are responsible for the income you are unable to earn as you recover. Your Los Angeles bus accident attorney can help hold the defendant accountable for lost wages as well as lost earning capacity. If you cannot return to work in the future or cannot earn as much as you did prior to your accident, the defendant is liable for these future losses as well.
- Property damage. If your vehicle or any other personal property was damaged or destroyed in the bus accident, the defendant is responsible for repair and replacement costs of your lost property.
- Pain and suffering. State law does not limit pain and suffering damages in most personal injury claims. You have the right to seek however much you believe to be fair to reflect the severity of the physical pain and psychological trauma you suffered in your accident. Your Los Angeles bus accident attorney might seek compensation based on the time it takes you to fully recover, or they may aim for a large lump sum that reflects the severity of long-term or permanent harm you suffered.
- Punitive damages. This type of compensation cannot be directly claimed by a plaintiff. Instead, a judge will award punitive damages at their discretion to punish a defendant for egregious negligence or intentional misconduct. The amount a defendant pays in punitive damages generally depends on the overall financial status of the defendant, so a wealthy defendant will pay much more than a defendant who has limited assets.
When you hire an experienced Los Angeles bus accident attorney to represent you, they may reveal that your case is worth much more than you initially expected. The right attorney is an invaluable asset for maximizing your recovery, and the sooner you secure trustworthy legal counsel, the sooner you can start working toward the recovery you deserve.
Easton & Easton can assist you in building a compelling civil suit against the party responsible for causing your bus accident. The majority of civil cases filed end in settlement, which allows both the plaintiff and the defendant to avoid the stress, expense, and time commitment required for litigation. We will guide you through the settlement negotiation process as swiftly as possible, but if settlement is not an option for any reason, we are ready to represent you in litigation.
Our team has a strong record of successful cases because we take time to learn each client’s story and listen to their unique concerns for their cases. Whatever your situation entails, you can trust our team to provide compassionate and responsive legal counsel through all stages of your recovery efforts. You have a limited time in which to seek compensation for your losses, so it is important to reach out to our team as soon as possible after your accident.
Q: How Can a Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorney Help Me Recover?
A: Your attorney can handle the procedural requirements of your bus accident claim, ensuring the case proceeds efficiently through the court system. When it comes to collecting compensation for your losses they will know the optimal ways of maximizing your case award, uncovering all the various damages you can seek from the defendant. You are not only more likely to win your case with an attorney’s help but also more likely to secure more compensation than you could manage on your own.
Q: Who Is Liable for a Los Angeles Bus Accident?
A: Liability for your recent bus accident could fall to one or more parties depending on how it occurred. If the bus was owned and operated by a private company, they fall under common carrier designation, and the driver and/or their employer may bear fault for the accident. If you are filing a suit in response to a school bus accident that injured your child, it is possible for liability to fall to the bus driver, the bus company, and/or the school district. Your Los Angeles bus accident attorney can help identify each liable party in your claim.
Q: How Much Compensation Can I Win for a Bus Accident in Los Angeles?
A: If you can successfully prove fault for your recent bus accident, you should be able to secure full repayment of all the economic losses you suffered from the accident. These may include your medical expenses, your lost income, and any property losses you suffered. You also have the right to seek pain and suffering compensation from the defendant responsible for the accident. An experienced Los Angeles bus accident attorney can help maximize your recovery.
Q: Will I Win a Larger Case Award if I Hire a Los Angeles Bus Accidents Attorney?
A: You might be able to accurately assess immediately recognizable damages like your hospital bills and the income you couldn’t earn during your recovery, but you are likely to struggle when it comes to calculating long-term damages. These may include future medical expenses, lost future earning capacity, and your pain and suffering. Even after accounting for your legal fees, you may discover that hiring an attorney significantly improves the overall quality of your case award.
Q: How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorney?
A: The attorneys at Easton & Easton accept personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis to ensure our legal services are accessible to injured clients who need them most, regardless of their financial situations. With a contingency fee agreement you are not required to pay upfront or ongoing legal fees for representation. Your attorney takes a percentage of your final case award as their fee, but only if they win your case. There is no fee if your legal team is unsuccessful in securing compensation on your behalf for any reason, so there is no risk to choosing our team as your legal counsel for your bus accident case.
The attorneys at Easton & Easton have years of successful cases behind us thanks to our commitment to client-focused legal counsel. Our firm will take the time necessary to carefully review the details of how your accident happened and identify every party liable for your damages. Bus accident cases tend to be some of the most complex vehicle accident claims in Los Angeles, but our firm has the resources and experience you need on your side to approach your case with confidence and peace of mind. Contact us today and set up a consult with a Los Angeles bus accident attorney you can trust with your recovery.