For a long time, the Food and Drug Administration didn't seem to get too involved when it came to the vaping industry. However, as its popularity grew, the agency began taking an interest. Then, when stories of battery explosions began showing up in the media, the FDA looked into the issue.
So far, the agency has not found a reason for the explosions except to say that the batteries appear to be the source. The FDA has put out an article relaying some tips for vape users that may help prevent battery explosions. Right now, the agency believes that these instances don't happen often, but still believes there is enough risk to warrant mentioning.
Steps you can take to prevent battery explosions
If you vape you may have already heard about the potential for explosions. You may wonder what you can do to prevent this from happening to you. The FDA recommends taking the following steps:
- If you have a spare battery for your vape, you'll want to keep it away from metal objects. It seems that contact with such items may cause some batteries to explode.
- Like any other batteries, those used for vape pens may not work properly after getting wet or sustaining some sort of damage. Replacing those batteries, or the whole unit if necessary, may be the safer bet.
- Many vape systems have security features to protect the batteries. Look for one that prevents overcharging, includes vent holes and has a firing button lock.
- It might not be a good idea to charge your vape through the night. If your system does not protect against overcharging, this could prove hazardous.
- Many people use the charger for their tablets to charge their vape pens. The FDA recommends not doing this, but instead, only using the charger provided with them.
By following these tips, you may help prevent your battery from exploding. Until further research pinpoints the issues connected to the explosions, it's probably better to remain cautious.
Steps you can take if your battery explodes
Even if you take the FDA's advice, this does not guarantee that the battery in your vape system won't explode. If it does, you could suffer serious injuries. If that happens, you may consider pursuing compensation for the financial losses you experience due to medical expenses, lost income and other damages.
Like other people who have suffered serious injuries due to unsafe and defective products, you may benefit from gaining an understanding of your rights and legal options by making use of local California legal resources.