Motorcycles are a preferred mode of transportation throughout Orange County and LA. Still, despite the high number of motorcyclists on the roads, many drivers of cars and trucks fail to see bikes.
While you can’t necessarily predict a negligent driver’s behavior, there are some precautions you can take as a motorcyclist to help ensure your safety.
Basic Safety Measures
Serious injuries result from motor vehicle accidents every day, but crashes involving motorcycles tend to be some of the most catastrophic. To reduce your odds of suffering serious harm, here are some basic tips to help you safely make it to where you’re going:
- Watch ahead for drivers’ behavior: This is always important — really for anyone on the road — but especially for motorcyclists, and especially when deciding whether to split the lanes. In heavy traffic, car and truck drivers sometimes make erratic lane changes, and watching a good distance ahead you and mentally noting the behavior of certain drivers can help you avoid a crash.
- Don’t assume that oncoming vehicles see you. On the road, you are bound to have to make a left turn as an oncoming vehicle approaches. Just be aware that many serious collisions happen when oncoming cars and trucks are going too fast and end up hitting riders who turn left into the oncoming lane. If you can, take a moment to really assess the speed of the oncoming vehicle.
- Wait to make sure cars at a stop sign actually stop. In some cases, motorcycle riders are seriously injured after stopping appropriately at a stop sign, but another driver fails to see the bike and rolls through the intersection, hitting the rider.
- Take care of your bike: It may seem obvious, but proper bike maintenance is crucial. If you have doubts about your bike’s parts or maintenance, try to avoid using it if you can and until your can get the matter fixed.
- Wear good gear: When you’re on your bike, protective gear may be all that stands between you and the pavement, and good gear could make a lot of difference in the severity of your injuries in the event of a collision.
Pursuing Compensation After a Crash
If you or a loved one suffers injuries in a motorcycle accident, don’t hesitate to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer about your full range of options for getting the compensation you need and deserve. You can expect the insurance company to present a lowball settlement offer or even try to shift blame for the accident onto you. An attorney with experience in these matters can fight to ensure that you get the medical care you need and that your rights and interests are protected.